The whiskey sour is a fine cocktail. It’s deliciously tart yet rich with those wonderful vanilla and caramel notes found in a good bourbon. This tangerine whiskey sour is a winter twist that comes with the addition of orange peel and tangerine juice.–James Ramsden
LC What Folks Are Saying About This Recipe Note
“A seriously lovely grown-up drink.” “A friendly and no-stress cocktail.” “Not my father’s whiskey sour! And I’m not complaining.” That’s what folks are saying about this tangerine whiskey sour recipe.
Egg Safety Note
As with any recipe that relies on raw eggs, this tangerine whiskey sour recipe should be avoided by pregnant women, the very young, the elderly, the ill, and those with compromised immune systems. Here’s more useful egg safety information.
Tangerine Whiskey Sour Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 10 M
- 15 M
- Serves 4 to 6
- Zest of 2 tangerines
- 7 tablespoons (100 milliliters or 3 1/2 ounces) fresh tangerine juice
- 7 tablespoons (100 milliliters or 3 1/2 ounces) fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup (50 grams or 1 3/4 ounces) superfine sugar (or just blitz granulated sugar in a blender until finely ground but not powdery)
- 1 1/4 cups (300 milliliters or 10 ounces) bourbon
- 1 large egg white (optional)
- 6 strips orange zest (just the colored portion of the peel and not the underlying bitter white pith)
- Dash Angostura or orange bitters
- 1. Place the tangerine zest and juice, lemon juice, and sugar in a small pan and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Simmer for 3 minutes more, then strain the tangerine simple syrup into a glass pitcher or a jar and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 24 hours.
- 2. Stash 6 tumblers in the freezer. You want them chilling for at least 30 minutes.
- 3. When you’re ready to serve the tangerine whiskey sour, fill each chilled tumbler with ice. Thoroughly whisk the chilled tangerine syrup together with the bourbon and the egg white, if using. Strain it into the tumblers, garnish with the orange peel, add a dash of bitters, and serve.
Thirsty for more? Sip on these:
Tangerine Whiskey Sour Recipe © 2014 James Ramsden. Photo © 2014 Clare Winfield. All rights reserved.
Hey, there. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!