This is one of the outstanding dips of the eastern Mediterranean, as delicious and striking as the far more famous hummus and baba ghanoush. Try it with meat or fish kabobs, or simply with crisp pita or warmed, floppy lavash. The dip will keep for one week in a closed container in the refrigerator, improving a little each day. Remember to return the dip to room temperature before serving.–Paula Wolfert
LC Paula Wolfert Note
Who are we to argue with Paula Wolfert? You heard what she had to say. So go on. Into the kitchen with you.
Red Pepper-Pomegranate Molasses-and-Walnut Dip Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 30 M
- 50 M
- Makes about 3 cups
- 2 1/2 pounds sweet red bell peppers
- 1 small hot chile pepper or 1 tablespoon Turkish red pepper paste
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts
- 1/2 cup wheat crackers or zweibach
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon pomegranate molasses, or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, more for garnish
- Salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoon olive oil, more for garnish
- 1. Roast the peppers and chili over a gas burner or under a broiler, turning frequently, until blackened and blistered all over, about 12 minutes. Place in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let steam for 10 minutes. Rub off the skins, slit thepeppers open, and remove the stems, membranes, and seeds. Spread the peppers, smooth side up, on a paper towel and let drain for 10 minutes.
- 2. In a food processor, grind the walnuts and crackers with the lemon juice, pomegranate molasses, cumin, salt, and sugar until smooth. Add the bell peppers and process until puréed and creamy.
- 3. With the machine running, add the olive oil in a thin stream. Add chile to taste. If the paste is too thick, thin with 1 to 2 tablespoons water. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 4. To serve, let the dip come to room temperature and sprinkle with cumin and olive oil.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
- Pomegranate Molasses Brussels Sprouts with Hazelnuts from A Cozy Kitchen
- Syrian Roasted Red Pepper and Walnut Dip from Taste Space
- Pomegranate Walnut Relish from Leite's Culinaria
- Amped-Up Red Pepper Paste from Leite's Culinaria
Red Pepper-Pomegranate Molasses-and-Walnut Dip Recipe © 1994 Paula Wolfert. All rights reserved.
Hey, there. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!