This easy guacamole tastes authentic as heck yet embraces a minimalistic philosophy with its quick approach that pares ingredients down to the essentials.
Everyone seems to have an opinion about guacamole. Author Jessica Dupuy believes that when it comes to guacamole, the simpler the better. This is reflected in the easy guacamole recipe below, which is missing a few common ingredients and yet still manages to taste perfect and please all manner of tortilla chip-dunking guests. It’s healthy, simple, quick, and authentic as heck. We’re not saying this is the only guacamole recipe, nor are we saying it’s the definitive guacamole recipe. We’re just saying we can imagine someone’s abuela tossing this concoction together and being perfectly satisfied because, thank heavens, there are no pomegranate seeds, chili powder, tomatoes, or other extraneous items junking it up. (Please. This is guacamole. Not a kitchen sink salad.)–Renee Schettler Rossi
Easy Guacamole Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 15 M
- 15 M
- Makes about 3 cups
- 5 medium ripe avocados (just shy of 2 pounds), halved and pitted
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (from about 1 to 2 limes)
- 1/2 cup (165 grams) diced red or white onion (about 1/2 medium onion)
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced (optional)
- Up to 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro leaves (optional)
- Finely chopped jalapeño (optional)
- 1. Scoop the avocado out of its peel and into a large bowl. Grab a fork and mash until the avocado is still sorta chunky. (At this point, you want the consistency to be a little chunkier than your desired final consistency since there’s still some more stirring to be done.)
- 2. Stir in the lime juice, onion, salt, garlic, and, if desired, cilantro and jalapeño and mix until it’s as chunky or as smooth as you fancy. Serve right away or cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 4 hours to allow the flavors to meld, being careful to press the wrap directly against the entire surface of the guacamole to prevent browning.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Easy Guacamole Recipe © 2016 Jessica Dupuy. Photo © 2016 Hélène Dujardin. All rights reserved.
Hey, there. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!