This grilled cheese recipe with everything came into existence when one day a line cook wondered what would happen if he put literally everything on a sandwich. Spectacularness ensued.
This grilled cheese recipe with everything came to be one night when a cook at the restaurant run by the authors of the eminently awesome Grilled Cheese Kitchen decided to find out what would happen if he put literally just about everything on a grilled cheese sandwich. Something spectacular happened. As the authors note, you can make all kinds of substitutions with this sandwich—whole-wheat or whole-grain breads will stand in for sourdough and any of a variety of cheeses work quite nicely.–Renee Schettler Rossi
Grilled Cheese With Everything Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 15 M
- 25 M
- Serves 1 hungry bro
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salted butter, at room temperature
- 3 slices sourdough or super high-quality white bread
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 slice Havarti cheese
- 1 slice roasted deli-style turkey
- Scant handful baby arugula or baby spinach leaves
- 2 strips thick-sliced bacon, cooked until crisp
- 1 slice mild or medium Cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon stone-ground mustard
- 1 slice Colby Jack cheese
- 2 or 3 slices ripe plum tomato (about 1/4 inch or 6 millimeters thick)
- 3 or 4 bread ’n’ butter pickles
- 1 slice Black Forest ham
- 1 slice Swiss cheese
- 1 tablespoon pickled red onions
- 3 or 4 slices fresh or pickled jalapeño (seeded if you like less heat)
- 1. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C), with the convection option on, if you have it. Place a baking sheet in the oven to preheat.
- 2. Spread the butter on one side of each slice of bread, divvying it up evenly among the slices. Place the slices, buttered-side down, on a clean cutting board. Spread the Dijon mustard on top of one slice, then top with the Havarti, turkey, arugula, bacon, and Cheddar. Spread the stone-ground mustard on the second slice of bread, then layer with the Colby Jack, tomato slices, pickle chips, and ham. Place the Swiss on the third slice and arrange the pickled onions and jalapeño on top.
- 3. Remove the hot baking sheet from the oven and, using a wide spatula, very carefully transfer the 3 stacks of topped bread to the baking sheet, buttered side down. Bake until the cheeses start to melt and the fillings are warmed through, 3 to 4 minutes.
- 4. Meanwhile, when you put the baking sheet in the oven, immediately begin to preheat a cast-iron or nonstick skillet over medium-low heat.
- 5. Using a wide spatula, transfer the 3 stacks of topped bread to the hot skillet, still buttered side down. Cook until the bottoms are nicely browned, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a clean cutting board.
- 6. Very carefully place the Swiss-jalapeño stack of bread, bread side down, on top of the piece with turkey and bacon, then carefully turn over the Colby Jack–ham piece and place it, bread side up, on top of the sandwich. Cut the sandwich into quarters and serve immediately.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
- Havarti and Arugula Grilled Cheese with Smoky Bacon Jam and Herb Butter from How Sweet It Is
- Apple Pie Grilled Cheese from Joanne Eats Well with Others
- Welsh Rarebit Grilled Cheese from Leite's Culinaria
- Cheddar, Bacon and Apple Grilled Cheese Sandwich from Leite's Culinaria
Grilled Cheese With Everything Recipe © 2016 Heidi Gibson and Nate Pollak. Photo © 2016 Antonis Achilleos. All rights reserved.
Hey, there. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!