Mac and cheese pizza. Yep. As in macaroni and cheese heaped atop pizza dough. And it’s incredibly easy to create a homemade version of it. Here’s how to make it.
Mac and cheese pizza? Yes, it’s a thing. God help us all.–Renee Schettler Rossi
Mac and Cheese Pizza Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 1 H
- 2 H, 30 M
- Makes 1 pizza
- For the pizza dough
- 1 recipe whole wheat or white pizza dough
- For the mac and cheese
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons (12 grams) salt
- 8 ounces (227 grams) small elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons (1 ounce or 28 grams) butter
- 1/2 cup (71 grams) minced onion
- 2 tablespoons (15 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (2 grams) dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon (1 gram) paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups (473 milliliters) milk
- 4 cups (16 ounces or 452 grams) shredded sharp Cheddar
- 1 cup (113 grams) shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup (113 grams) shredded Cheddar
- 1/4 cup (25 grams) grated pecorino Romano
- 12 Ritz crackers, crushed (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons (5 grams) chopped chives
- Make the pizza dough
- 1. Place the pizza dough on the counter until it comes to cool room temperature, about 1 hour.
- Make the mac and cheese
- 2. Spray a 10-inch (25-centimeter) round cake pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- 3. Boil 4 quarts (4 1/2 liters) water with 1 teaspoon (6 grams) salt. Add the macaroni and cook until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain the macaroni and then dump it in a large bowl.
- 4. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 30 seconds. Add the flour, remaining 1 teaspoon (6 grams) salt, the dry mustard, paprika, and pepper and stir continuously until a paste forms. Add the milk and stir continuously until smooth. Simmer for about 5 minutes, until thickened. Stir 2 cups (227 grams) of the sharp Cheddar into the thickened sauce and keep stirring until it is smooth and melted.
- 5. Pour the cheese sauce over the macaroni and stir until it is all well combined. Scrape half the mac and cheese into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 cups (227 grams) sharp Cheddar. Pour the rest of the mac and cheese on top and pat it down to form a cake. Chill for 1 hour.
- 6. Move an oven rack to the lowest position. Preheat the oven to 500°F (260°C) for 30 minutes.
- 7. Shape the dough into a round just slightly larger than your cake pan. Sprinkle with the mozzarella, 1 cup Cheddar, and Romano. Use a metal spatula to loosen the mac and cheese cake from the pan. Turn the pan over and carefully transfer the mac and cheese cake to a plate. Slide the mac and cheese onto the middle of the pizza, and top with the crushed crackers.
- 8. Bake the pizza for 13 to 15 minutes, until the crust is deep brown and the mac and cheese is bubbling. Check underneath with a metal spatula to ensure the bottom crust is deep brown too. Let the pizza rest for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with the chives, then cut the pizza into 8 wedges and serve.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
- Macaroni and Cheese Pizza with Bacon and Green Onions from Rachel Cooks
- Pulled Pork Mac and Cheese Pizza from Buns in My Oven
- Baked Macaroni and Cheese from Leite's Culinaria
- Bacon Cheeseburger Pizza from Leite's Culinaria
Mac and Cheese Pizza Recipe © 2015 Craig Priebe and Dianne Jacob. Photo © 2015 Jeff Kauck. All rights reserved.
Hey, there. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!