This glazed tofu recipe made with honey and soy sauce is crazy simple yet spectacularly impressive. Folks who already love tofu are swooning and it’s wooing even avowed tofu haters.
The trick to this glazed tofu recipe is the manner in which the sugars in the marinade takes on a deeper, more complex, almost nutty taste when it’s simmered down to a glaze. Folks who already love tofu are swooning and it’s wooing even avowed tofu haters. See for yourself.–Renee Schettler Rossi
Glazed Tofu Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 30 M
- 30 M
- Serves 3 to 4
- 1 pound (454 g) extra-firm tofu, patted dry and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick pieces
- 1 1/4 cups (296 ml) soy sauce
- 1 cup (237 ml) honey
- 1/4 cup (50 g) granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons (5 g) finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 2 1/2 teaspoons (7 g) finely chopped fresh garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon (2 g) cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon (1 g) freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.4 g) ground dried Thai bird’s eye chile (or substitute your favorite Asian chile)
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) toasted sesame oil (optional)
- Steamed rice, for serving
- 1. Place the tofu in a resealable container so all the pieces lie flat in a single layer. In a medium bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, honey, sugar, ginger, garlic, cayenne, black pepper, and ground chile. Then pour enough of the sauce over the tofu to completely coat it. Cover and refrigerate the tofu for at least 6 hours or overnight. If you have any extra marinade, cover and refrigerate it, too.
- 2. Remove the tofu from the marinade, reserving the marinade. Heat a nonstick skillet over low heat. Pour about 1/4 of the marinade in the skillet and, once it starts to sizzle, add about 1/2 the tofu, taking care not to crowd the skillet. Pour a little more marinade from the container into the skillet so the tofu is covered. Cook the tofu, occasionally spooning the marinade over the tofu, until it’s nicely glazed and caramelized, 6 to 8 minutes, depending on how hot your skillet IS. Carefully flip the tofu and cook on the other side, occasionally spooning marinade over the tofu, until it is warmed through, 4 to 6 minutes more. If a more robust flavor is desired, continue to cook the tofu until the glaze simmers and reduces slightly. Repeat with the remaining marinade and tofu.
- 3. Divvy the tofu among plates, drizzle with the sesame oil, if desired, and serve alongside steamed rice.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Glazed Tofu Recipe © 2016 Ratha Chaupoly and Ben Daitz. Photo © 2016 Evan Sung. All rights reserved.
Hey, there. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!