Pumpkin spice rice krispie treats?! Believe it. Intoxicatingly aromatic browned butter. Ever-popular pumpkin spice. And all the ooey, gooey goodness of the original marshmallow bars.
These pumpkin spice rice krispie treats transform a childhood favorite into something that’s waaaaaay next level. Intoxicatingly aromatic browned butter and ever-popular pumpkin spice coalesce with ooey, gooey marshmallows and rice krispies to make these not-too-sweet treats all grown up. Don’t worry, though. Your inner child will still thank you.–Angie Zoobkoff
DIY Pumpkin Spice Blend
If you have a favored pumpkin spice blend that makes you go wobbly in the knees, by all means, use it in this recipe. Simply swap it for the various individual spices in the ingredient list below, using 3 to 3 3/4 teaspoons of your pumpkin spice mixture, depending on just how amped up a pumpkin spice presence you prefer.
Pumpkin Spice Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 15 M
- 30 M
- 6 tablespoons (3 ounces) unsalted butter, plus more for the baking dish
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 (10-ounce or 283-gram) bag mini or jumbo marshmallows
- 6 cups (about 6 ounces) Rice Krispies or other crisped rice cereal
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon fleur de sel or other coarse sea salt
- 1. Lightly butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
- 2. In a large saucepan or pot over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Continue to cook after it’s melted until it turns brown and has a nutty aroma, 2 to 3 minutes. Keep a careful watch on the butter as it can go from brown to burnt in a matter of seconds. You may see dark flecks of milk solids at the bottom of the pan and that’s okay. Immediately remove the pan from the heat.
- 3. Add the cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cardamom, ginger, and kosher salt to the butter and stir to coat the spices with butter. The butter will appear quite dark after you add the spices. That’s okay. Return the pan to low heat and cook until intensely aromatic, 1 to 2 minutes.
- 4. Add the marshmallows to the pan and allow the marshmallows to become warm enough to melt or lose their shape when you stir them, scraping the bottom of the pan to prevent the marshmallows from scorching, about 3 minutes. (The timing is approximate. Jumbo marshallows will take a touch longer than mini marshmallows.)
- 5. Working quickly, dump the Rice Krispies in the pan and use a wooden spoon or a lightly buttered rubber spatula to mix until the cereal is coated with the marshmallow goo.
- 6. Spread the mixture in the prepared pan and press it evenly, using the spatula if the mixture is still too warm to use your hands. Sprinkle with the fleur de sel and let the treats cool for about 15 minutes. Cut into whatever size squares or rectangles you desire. Watch them disappear.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Pumpkin Spice Rice Krispie Treats Recipe © 2016 Graham Elliot. Photo © 2016 Anthony Tahlier. All rights reserved.
Hey, there. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!