This sweet and spicy cranberry relish belongs in your weeknight repertoire and not just on your Thanksgiving table. Made in minutes from just five ingredients, including jalapeño (!!!!), this easy everyday lifesaver is gonna amp up your weeknight dinner game.
This sweet and spicy cranberry relish with jalapeño will banish any recollections you may have of that jellied red stuff that makes an annual appearance and will similarly dispel any misgivings you may have about anything remotely resembling it. There are cranberries and jalapeño, natch, along with sugar, lime, and onion. They all collide in an unexpected yet inspired combination of sweet, tart, and spicy that’s perfection alongside a holiday roast although it’s equally at home with everyday entities, which we’ve listed below. Although don’t be surprised if you catch yourself eating it straight from the bowl. (We know we did.) And did we mention you can make it ahead of time since it freezes beautifully?–Angie Zoobkoff
How To Use This Cranberry Relish Beyond Thanksgiving
This sweet and spicy cranberry relish is an inspired addition to any of the below incarnations. Have something you’d like to add to the list? Let us know in a comment below!
Served as a condiment alongside roast chicken
Plopped on the plate with roast pork
Dolloped alongside seared duck
Slathered on sandwiches—notably those containing leftover roast turkey or chicken
Forked up with roast chicken thighs
Spooned straight from the bowl (seriously, we did this)
Tossed with quinoa and salad greens and goat cheese
Featured on a cheese plate
Served atop seared pork chops
Sweet and Spicy Cranberry Relish Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 20 M
- 2 H, 30 M
- Makes about 2 1/2 cups
- One 12-ounce (340-gram) bag fresh or frozen cranberries, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 cup (198 grams) granulated sugar
- Juice and grated zest of 1 lime (about 2 tablespoons juice and 1 teaspoon zest)
- 1 jalapeño or red serrano pepper, seeded and finely diced (about 1 ounce or 28 grams)
- 1/4 large red onion, finely diced (about 2 1/2 ounces or 70 grams)
- 1. Place the cranberries, 3/4 cup sugar, and half the lime juice and lime zest in a food processor and pulse just until the cranberries are somewhere between coarsely and finely chopped.
- 2. Add the jalapeño and red onion and pulse just a few more times to combine. Taste and, if desired, add more sugar and/or the remaining lime juice and zest to taste. Let rest at room temperature until the sauce starts to get juicier as the sugar dissolves, 15 to 20 minutes.
- 3. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and preferably up to 24 hours to allow the flavors to meld. Stir to recombine before serving. (To freeze the cranberry relish, place the relish in a resealable plastic bag and place it flat in the freezer. The cranberry relish will last 2 months in the freezer. To thaw, place in the fridge overnight or submerge the frozen bag of sauce in a bowl of cold water.)
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Sweet and Spicy Cranberry Relish Recipe © 2016 Becky Rosenthal. Photo © 2016 Becky Rosenthal. All rights reserved.
Hey, there. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!