Sometimes you want a dessert just because of the idea of it. This is one of them: golden eggy bread, tart raspberries, rich cream… Irresistible. If you can’t get your hands on brioche — the sweet French bread — any good white bread will do as long as it has a soft crust.–Diana Henry
Pain Perdu with Crème Fraîche and Raspberries Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 30 M
- 30 M
- Serves 4
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 large eggs, plus 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 8 medium slices brioche
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- 8 ounces raspberries
- Crème fraîche, to serve
- 1. Whisk the cream, eggs, and sugar together. Either leave the brioche slices whole or cut them in half (a stack of four halves can look very good). Dunk the first two slices of brioche in the egg mix and leave for 5 minutes.
- 2. Melt a pat of the butter in a frying pan and cook the brioche slices, a couple at a time, adding more butter as you need to, until golden on each side. You need to dunk the next slices of brioche in the egg mixture as you go along. Put each slice on a paper towel as it is cooked.
- 3. Serve two slices of brioche per person, sift confectioners’ sugar over each serving, and add the raspberries and crème fraîche.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Pain Perdu with Crème Fraîche and Raspberries Recipe © 2009 Diana Henry. Photo © 2009 Jonathan Lovekin. All rights reserved.
Hey, there. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!