Grilled carrots. They’re gonna revolutionize your weeknight side dish situation. Seriously. They’re a backyard grilling game-changer.
These grilled carrots are a backyard grilling game-changer. No need to crank up your oven in the heat of summer to get sweet and tender roasted carrots. And no longer do you need to run back and forth between stovetop and grill to put an entire meal on the table. These get tossed on the grill and basted with a simple citrus butter. They’re done in the same time it takes to grill some steak or chicken and let it rest. Which gives you enough time to crack open a cold beer and bask in the satisfaction of being a dinnertime superhero.–Angie Zoobkoff
Grilled Carrots Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 20 M
- 40 M
- Serves 4
- 1 stick unsalted butter (4 ounces or 113 g)
- 6 cardamom pods, crushed (9 g)
- Grated zest and juice of 1 large orange (about 10 ounces or 280 g)
- 1 3/4 pounds carrots, about 3/4-inch thick (800 g or about a dozen carrots)
- Olive oil, for cooking
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Heat the grill for direct/indirect cooking over medium heat (about 400°F or 200°C).
- 2. In a small saucepan placed on the grill as it preheats (or on low heat on your stovetop), melt the butter and then add the cardamom pods, the orange zest, and half the orange juice. Cook the butter very slowly for 5 minutes to infuse it with the cardamom and orange, then remove from the heat and reserve in a warm spot.
- 3. Wash the carrots and give them a subtle scrub if needed but don’t peel them. Toss them on a rimmed baking sheet, drizzle with oil, season with salt and pepper, and then toss or rub them so they’re completely coated. Place the carrots on the grill over direct heat. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes, turning regularly, until the carrots have charred and started to caramelize.
- 4. Carefully brush the carrots all over with some of the infused butter and move them to the indirect heat zone. Cook for 4 minutes, then brush with more of the butter. If your carrots are quite thick, you may want to close the grill lid. Repeat once or twice more until the carrots are glazed, tender, nicely caramelized, and as charred as you please. You may wish to move the carrots so that the thick ends are more over direct heat while the thin tips are over indirect heat. Squeeze with the rest of the orange juice and serve straightaway.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Grilled Carrots Recipe © 2017 Ben Tish. Photo © 2017 Kris Kirkham. All rights reserved.
Hey, there. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!