Asian chicken salad with bok choy and oranges and cashews helps you say so long to the same old boring chicken on salad greens. And it’s on the table in less time than it takes to get takeout.
This Asian chicken salad revolutionizes the usual ho-hum chicken on salad greens. And it couldn’t be easier. Gently poached chicken is jumbled together with baby bok choy, oranges, and roasted cashews and the whole shebang is tossed with miso vinaigrette. And it’s on the table in less than 30 minutes. Who knew healthy could be so delicious?!–Angie Zoobkoff
Asian Chicken Salad Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 25 M
- 25 M
- Serves 4
- For the Asian chicken salad
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (each about 5 ounces or 140 g)
- 2 to 4 cups store-bought or homemade chicken stock (475 to 715 ml)
- 12 ounces baby bok choy (340 g)
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced (about 1 ounce or 28 g)
- 4 navel oranges, peeled and segmented (about 2 pounds or 900 g)
- 1/2 cup roasted cashews (70 g)
- Kosher salt
- For the miso vinaigrette
- 3 tablespoons red, yellow, or white miso (about 60 g)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce (45 ml)
- 3 tablespoons toasted sesame oil (45 ml)
- 1 cup rice wine vinegar (240 ml)
- 3 tablespoons mild vegetable oil (45 ml)
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced (about 5 g)
- Start the Asian chicken salad
- 1. In a large skillet over high heat, place the chicken breasts in a single layer and add just enough chicken stock to barely cover the chicken. Bring to a very gentle simmer and then decrease the heat to low so the stock doesn’t even bubble. Gently cook the chicken until it’s just tender but not quite cooked through, 3 to 6 minutes. Remove from the heat and keep the chicken submerged until it’s cooked through, 2 to 5 minutes more.
- Make the miso vinaigrette
- 2. While the chicken is cooking, combine the vinaigrette ingredients in a jar with a lid and shake to mix well or whisk the ingredients together in a bowl.
- Assemble the Asian chicken salad
- 3. Slice or shred the chicken into bite-size pieces. Cut the white stalks of the bok choy crosswise into pieces 1/4-inch (6-mm) wide; keep the green leaves whole. Combine the bok choy in a bowl with the shallot, orange segments, cashews, and chicken. Season with salt and dress with some of the miso vinaigrette. Serve with additional miso dressing on the side. (You can cover and refrigerate any leftover miso dressing.)
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Hey, there. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!