Spears of medium thickness do better on the grill than pencil-thin spears. They are less likely to fall through the cooking grate and they usually have fuller flavors. Both purple and green spears will be green when they are cooked.–Jamie Purviance
Asparagus and Prosciutto with Lemon Vinaigrette Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 25 M
- 25 M
- Serves 4
- For the vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely diced shallot
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds asparagus
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 thin slices prosciutto, about 2 ounces total
- 1. Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium heat.
- 2. In a small bowl whisk the vinegar, shallot, lemon zest, and mustard. Slowly drizzle and whisk in the oil until it is emulsified. Season with the salt and pepper.
- 3. Remove and discard the tough bottom of each asparagus spear by grasping each end and bending it gently until it snaps at its natural point of tenderness, usually two-thirds of the way down the spear. If desired, use a vegetable peeler to peel off the outer skin from the bottom half of each spear. Spread the asparagus on a large plate. Drizzle with a few tablespoons of the vinaigrette and season evenly with the salt.
- 4. Brush the cooking grates clean. Grill the asparagus and the prosciutto over direct medium heat, with the lid closed as much as possible, until the asparagus is tender and the prosciutto is crisp, turning once or twice. The asparagus will take 6 to 8 minutes and the prosciutto will take 1 to 2 minutes.
- 5. Arrange the asparagus on a platter, spoon on the vinaigrette, and crumble the crispy prosciutto on top.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
- Crispy Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus from Steamy Kitchen
- Asparagus with Crispy Prosciutto and Tarragon Aioli from Taste Food
- Grilled Asparagus, Prosciutto, Fried Bread, and Poached Egg from Leite's Culinaria
- Asparagus with Raspberry-Shallot Vinaigrette from Leite's Culinaria
Asparagus and Prosciutto with Lemon Vinaigrette Recipe © 2009 Jamie Purviance. Photo © 2009 Tim Turner. All rights reserved.