In this classic Mexican combination of chocolate, almond, cinnamon, and chile I use powdered chipotles, which are dried, smoked jalapeños. The chipotle powder imparts a subtle, smoky note that complements the chocolate, as well as a bit of heat to the finish.
Chipotle powder is widely available, usually in the spice or Latin foods sections of the supermarket. You can use cayenne instead—it will give you the heat without the smoke.–Adam Ried
Mexican Chocolate Shake with Chipotle and Almond Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 5 M
- 5 M
- Makes about 3 1/2 cups
- 1/2 cup cold whole or lowfat milk (about 4 ounces)
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon chipotle powder or cayenne pepper, or more to taste
- 4 medium scoops vanilla bean or original vanilla ice cream (about 1 pint/12 ounces), softened until just melty at the edges
- 4 medium scoops chocolate sorbet (about 1 pint/ 12 ounces), softened until just melty at the edges
- 1. Place the milk, almond extract, cinnamon, and chipotle in a blender and blend to mix thoroughly, about 15 seconds.
- 2. Add the ice cream and sorbet and pulse several times to begin breaking them up. With the blender motor off, use a flexible spatula to mash the mixture down onto the blender blades. Continue pulsing, stopping, and mashing until the mixture is well blended, thick, and moves easily in the blender jar, roughly 30 to 90 seconds.
- 3. Pour into a chilled glass or glasses, and serve at once.
Thirsty for more? Sip on these:
Testers ChoiceTesters Choice
Jul 10, 2009
This is a very nice adult drink. The younger ones didn’t like it. This just has a nice blend of flavors. I’ve always liked chocolate and almond together, but when you add the cinnamon it gets even better. Then after you take a sip you get that little smoky kick from the chipotle and it all comes together. The only thing I’d do differently is halve the recipe so I can make a single serving. Don’t forget to chill your glasses. I put two in the freezer the night before and it helped keep this drink cold until the last drop was gone.
Mexican Chocolate Shake with Chipotle and Almond Recipe © 2009 Adam Ried. Photo © 2009 Andre Baranowski. All rights reserved.