At this time of year, it’s good to have a thick warming soup at your fingertips and this is plenty seasonal into the bargain. This is what makes it easy: I make it from frozen broccoli; I use frozen organic broccoli, if that makes you feel any better. Actually, there’s no reason to feel bad on any count. This is better when made with frozen, as well as more convenient, especially if being used as an impromptu standby. The broccoli is frozen fresh, whereas the drooping heads at the bottom of my fridge inevitably end up brassy-tasting.
Moreover, at this time of year my fridge is too full as it is, and I need the help of having some crucial ingredients stashed in the freezer. This is also a helpful way of turning plain cold sliced turkey into a warming meal.–Nigella Lawson
Broccoli and Stilton Soup Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 25 M
- 25 M
- Serves 4 as a supper
- 3 tablespoons garlic-infused oil
- 6 scallions, finely chopped
- 2 1/4 pounds frozen broccoli
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 5 cups hot vegetable stock (from concentrate or bouillon cube)
- 1 1/2 cups crumbled or chopped Stilton cheese
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 long red chile pepper, deseeded and finely chopped, optional
- 1. Put the garlic oil in a large pan over medium heat and add the sliced scallions, cooking for a couple of minutes.
- 2. Add the frozen broccoli and thyme and stir on the heat for a minute or so.
- 3. Add the hot vegetable stock and the crumbled Stilton and bring to a bubble, then clamp the lid on and cook for 5 minutes.
- 4. Liquidize in a blender (or, failing that, a food processor), in batches, then pour back in the pan and heat if it has cooled too much while liquidizing; add pepper to taste.
- 5. Scatter a Christmas confetti of red chile dice on each serving, if you feel like it.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Testers ChoiceTesters Choice
Feb 01, 2007
The addition of the Stilton elevates broccoli soup to a new level. The cheese adds a creaminess that I think is better than heavy cream, and it also adds a piquancy that would be difficult to achieve with aromatics alone. In short: elegant results with few ingredients and very little work.
Broccoli and Stilton Soup Recipe © 2007 Nigella Lawson. Photo © 2007 Lis Parsons. All rights reserved.