This is a light, creamy soup that has everything going for it—a tempting color, a velvety smooth texture, and a wonderful fresh flavor. It’s a harbinger of warmer weather and the opening of farmers’ markets all across the country. Peas and bacon are a popular combination in England and in America, as the sweetness of the former plays well off the smokiness of the latter. I prefer to use Ventrech bacon from Alsace, but another lightly smoked, dry-cured bacon is fine.–Gordon Ramsay
LC Straight Or Crinkly? Note
Straight or crinkly? (Not kinky. Crinkly. We were inquiring how you like your bacon. What were you thinking? Honestly, you people…) If you answered straight, then you may wish to take a cue from celebrity chef and loudmouth Gordon Ramsay, who bakes bacon slices between 2 heavy baking sheets to keep them straight and flat.
Chilled Spring Pea Soup Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 35 M
- 50 M
- Serves 4
- 4 ounces lightly smoked sliced bacon
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound fresh peas in the pod, shelled
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 4 cups vegetable stock, homemade chicken stock or canned chicken broth (use a light stock and not one made with the carcass of a roasted hen)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, plus a little extra for serving
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1. Reserve 4 slices bacon and chop the rest. Place the chopped bacon in a saucepan with the shallots and oil over medium heat until sizzling. Partially cover and cook over low heat for about 5 minutes. Add the peas and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Pour in the wine and cook until it has evaporated.
- 2. Stir in the stock and water and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper and simmer for 15 minutes. Blend in a food processor or blender until smooth, then pass through a fine sieve into a bowl, pressing the solids with the back of a ladle to extract as much liquid as humanly possible. Let cool, then cover and refrigerate.
- 3. Meanwhile, broil the reserved bacon slices until crisp. Drain well on a paper towel.
- 4. When the soup is well chilled, check the seasoning and whisk in the cream. Season again. Serve in bowls with a little extra cream trickled on top and either a floating bacon slice or a crumbled bacon slice.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
- Chilled Parsley and Green Pea Soup from My New Roots
- Chilled Spring Pea Soup with Garlic Cream and Bacon from One Perfect Bite
- Spring Pea Soup with Chive Oil and Crème Fraîche from Leite's Culinaria
- Pureed Pea Soup with Mint from Leite's Culinaria
Chilled Spring Pea Soup Recipe © 2000 Gordon Ramsay. Photo © 2000 Gentl & Hyers. All rights reserved.
Hello. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!