Brown rice is the perfect complement for tender, spicy lamb curry or any stew with a rich braising liquid. Make the rice while the meat is cooking.–Jacques Pépin
Brown Rice Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 15 M
- 1 H
- Makes 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped onions
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled, crushed, and chopped
- 1/2 cup dark raisins
- 1 1/2 cups short-grain brown rice
- 3 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1. While the meat is cooking, heat the butter in a sturdy saucepan until hot, then mix in the onions and garlic, and saute for 2 minutes.
- 2. Add the raisins and the rice, and stir well to coat the rice with the butter. Pour in the chicken stock and the salt, and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, so the rice doesn’t scorch. As soon as it is boiling, reduce the heat to very low. Cover, and cook for 45 minutes. The rice should be tender, but the grains should have some firmness.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
- Sesame Almond Brown Rice Balls from 101 Cookbooks
- 30 Minute Mushroom Fried Brown Rice from How sweet It Is
- Pinto Bean, Quinoa, and Wild Rice Wrap from Leite's Culinaria
- Wild Rice with Mushrooms, Cranberries, and Walnut Oil from Leite's Culinaria
Brown Rice Recipe © 2001 Jacques Pépin. All rights reserved.