This potato soup is spiced up with cayenne pepper, ladled over grated Gruyère, and topped with sliced scallions, giving a full complement of flavors and textures that is fun to eat and delicious.–Jimmy Bradley and Andrew Friedman
If you have leftover mashed potatoes, this is a great way to use them; you’ll need about 2 cups. Start the recipe after the food-mill step, adding the potatoes to a pot, leaving out half of the cream and milk, and substituting chicken stock for the cooking liquid.
Spicy Swiss Potato Soup Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 25 M
- 50 M
- Serves 4
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds (about 2 medium) Idaho potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 3 cups homemade chicken stock or low-sodium canned chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup (about 6 ounces) grated Gruyère cheese
- 2 teaspoons hot paprika
- 2 scallions, white and green parts, finely sliced
- 1. Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a heavy-bottomed soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the shallot and saute until softened but not browned, approximately 3 minutes.
- 2. Add the potatoes, chicken stock, and 3 cups water. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat so the liquid simmers. Cook until the potatoes are soft to a knife-tip, approximately 15 minutes. Pour the contents of the pot into a fine-mesh strainer set over a bowl. Set the cooking liquid aside.
- 3. Pass the potatoes through a food mill or ricer. Return the potatoes to the pot over medium heat and add the milk, cream, and 1 1/2 cups of the cooking liquid. Whisk gently to incorporate, but do not overwork the potatoes. Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste. Finish by whisking in the remaining tablespoon butter.
- 4. To serve, put some shredded Gruyère in the bottom of each of 4 bowls, and ladle in the hot soup. Garnish with a dusting of paprika and the scallions.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
- Spicy Potato & Fennel Soup with Parmesan Bagel Croutons from Cookin' Canuck
- Cream of Potato and Leek Soup from CopyKat Recipes
- Pasta Soup with Potatoes and Pancetta from Leite's Culinaria
- Spicy Tomato and Blue Cheese Soup from Leite's Culinaria
Spicy Swiss Potato Soup Recipe © 2006 Jimmy Bradley and Andrew Friedman. Photo © 2006 David Sawyer. All rights reserved.
Hey, there. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!