The Breath of a Wok | Simon & Schuster, 2004 | Serves 4 as part of a multi-course meal|
Mama often makes this noodle dish for lunch. The Cantonese like using spare amounts of Smithfield ham; its flavor resembles that of a famous ham from Yunnan province in China. But for such a small amount, I use prosciutto to save time.—Grace Young
Active time: 25 minutes | Total time: 1 hour, 15 minutes .
Mama’s Noodles with Mushrooms and Ham Recipe
- 6 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 8 ounces flat dried rice noodles
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded ginger
- 8 ounces (about 4 cups) mung bean sprouts
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 3 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 ounces prosciutto, julienned
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- Cilantro sprigs
1. In a medium shallow bowl soak the mushrooms in 3/4 cup cold water 30 minutes or until softened. Drain and squeeze dry, reserving the soaking liquid. Cut off and discard the stems and thinly slice the caps. Set aside. Soak the noodles in a bowl with enough warm water to cover 20 minutes or until they are soft and pliable. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat a 14-inch flat-bottomed wok over high heat until a bead of water vaporizes within 1 to 2 seconds of contact. Swirl in the vegetable oil, add the ginger, and stir-fry 10 seconds. Add the bean sprouts and stir-fry 1 minute. Add the mushrooms, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and the sugar and stir-fry 1 minute or until the sprouts are cooked but still crisp. Transfer to a shallow bowl and toss with 1 teaspoon of the sesame oil and 2 teaspoons of the soy sauce.
3. Add 1/2 cup of the reserved mushroom soaking liquid, the remaining 1 teaspoon soy sauce, and 1 teaspoon sesame oil to the unwashed wok. Add the rice noodles and warm over medium heat, stirring constantly, 2 to 3 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed and the noodles are just tender. Add the bean sprout mixture and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and stir-fry 1 minute until combined. Transfer to a platter. Sprinkle on the shredded ham, scallion, and cilantro sprigs.
- Seasoned Rice Noodles with Cucumber and Carrot Salad Recipe from Sarah’s Cucina Bella
- Pan-Seared Salmon with Thai Rice Noodles from Viet World Kitchen
- Burmese Beef Curry with Vermicelli Rice Noodles from Leite’s Culinaria
- Chicken Coconut Noodle Soup from Leite’s Culinaria
Mama’s noodles with mushrooms and ham recipe © 2004 Grace Young | Alan Richardson. Photo © 2004 Alan Richardson. All rights reserved.