Donna Hay concocted the perfectly balanced spring dish—just enough fresh flavors like cool mint, tangy feta cheese and savory couscous mingling together. This can be served as a light opener to a substantial meal or as an entrée itself.–Donna Hay
Mint Couscous with Fried Tomatoes Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 30 M
- 30 M
- Serves 6 as an appetizer
- 1 1/2 cups couscous
- 1 3/4 cups boiling vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons olive oil (divided as below)
- 4 ripe tomatoes, thickly sliced
- Cracked black pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons baby capers
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped blanched almonds
- 3 tablespoons chopped mint
- 2 bunches arugula leaves
- 6 ounces marinated feta cheese, sliced
- 1. Place couscous in a bowl and pour over boiling stock. Allow to stand for 5 minutes or until stock has been absorbed.
- 2. Heat one tablespoon of the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Sprinkle tomato slices with pepper and place them in pan. Cook tomatoes for 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until they are well browned.
- 3. Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons of oil in a separate frying pan over high heat. Add the onions and cook for 3 minutes or until soft. Add the capers, lemon rind and almonds to pan and cook for 2 minutes. Add couscous and mint to pan and cook for 2 minutes or until mixture is heated.
- 4. Place couscous on serving plates, top with arugula, cheese and fried tomatoes.
Mint Couscous with Fried Tomatoes Recipe © 1999 999 Whitecap Books. All rights reserved.