Donna Hay concocted the perfectly balanced dish with this Mint Couscous With Fried Tomatoes. There’s just enough fresh flavors like cool mint, tangy feta, tart lemon mingling and commingling with the couscous. This can be served as a light opener to a substantial meal or as an entrée itself.–David Leite
LC Don't Even Miss It Note
Some recipes are sooooooooooo ridiculously crammed full of flavor, you may not even notice the relative lack of meat. This is one of those recipes. Curious to see more of the same? Take a twirl through the rest of our Meatless Monday recipes.
Mint Couscous with Fried Tomatoes Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 20 M
- 30 M
- Serves 6 as an appetizer
- 1 1/2 cups couscous
- 1 3/4 cups homemade chicken stock, canned chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 ripe tomatoes, thickly sliced
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons baby capers
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped blanched almonds
- 3 tablespoons chopped mint
- 2 bunches arugula leaves
- 6 ounces feta cheese (plain or marinated), sliced
- 1. Bring the stock or broth to a boil in a saucepan. Place the couscous in a medium-ish bowl and pour over the boiling stock. Let stand until the liquid has been absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sprinkle the tomato slices with pepper and place them in the skillet. Cook, turning once, until they are well browned, 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Transfer to serving plates.
- 3. Wipe out the skillet, place it over medium-high heat, and add the remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil. Add the onions and cook until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the capers, lemon zest, and almonds and cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes. Add the couscous and the mint and cook, gently stirring, until the mixture is warmed through, about 2 minutes.
- 4. Divvy the couscous among the plates, arranging it alongside the fried tomatoes and topping it with the arugula and feta.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Mint Couscous with Fried Tomatoes Recipe © 1999 Whitecap Books. Photo © 1999 Petrina Tinslay. All rights reserved.