When I saw Wolfgang make these little guys, I knew that I had to add this potstickers recipe to the site. Because these Chinese dumplings can be somewhat labor intensive, they’re perfect for an informal dinner party where everyone lends a hand. Or do what my friends do and make only half the recipe and freeze the rest.–David Leite
Pot Stickers Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 2 H
- 4 H, 30 M
- Makes 100 to 120 pot stickers
- 1/4 cup garlic cloves, peeled and quartered
- 1-inch piece ginger, peeled
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1/4 cup dried fruit (apricots, cherries, or raisins)
- 1/2 bunch cilantro leaves, minced
- 1/2 bunch scallions, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon chile paste
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 pounds pork butt, cubed
- Round wonton wrappers
- 1 large egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon of water, for egg wash
- Peanut oil, for frying
- Dipping Sauce
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 cup toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons minced scallions
- Large pinch granulated sugar
- Make the filling
- 1. In a blender, combine the garlic and ginger. Turn on the machine and slowly pour in the peanut oil and process until a purée forms. Transfer to a bowl and add the remaining ingredients. Stir together and marinate for 1 hour.
- 2. Pass the mixture through a medium dye in the meat grinder. Transfer to an electric stand mixer and, using the paddle on slow speed, mix until emulsified.
- Assemble the pot stickers
- 3. Separate the wonton wrappers and brush the edges with eggwash. Place a generous spoonful of the filling in the middle and seal the edges, making small folds starting from the center and folding down to each end to create a half-moon shape. Continue until you have used up the filling. Refrigerate the pot stickers until ready to cook.
- 4. Drop the pot stickers in small batches into boiling, salted water until cooked through, about 7 to 8 minutes. Drain. Heat a nonstick saute pan with peanut oil and sear the pot stickers until golden on the bottom. Remove and serve with the dipping sauce.
- Make the dipping sauce
- 5. Combine all the ingredients and whisk together.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Pot Stickers Recipe © Wolfgang Puck. Photo © zpeckler. All rights reserved.