This is an easy twist on the classic companion for a glass of chilled champagne: buckwheat pancakes called blini topped with sour cream and smoked salmon. Here a purchased pizza crust replaces the traditional blini as the base for the salmon; the sour cream is replaced by cream cheese enhanced with the piquant flavors of red onion, horseradish, fresh dill, and lemon peel.–Barbara Fairchild
Be sure to let the crust cool a bit after you crisp it in the oven, so its heat won’t melt the cream-cheese topping or partially cook the salmon.
Smoked-Salmon Pizza with Red Onion and Dill Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 20 M
- 35 M
- Makes 6 appetizer servings
- One 10-ounce, purchased fully baked thin pizza crust
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon prepared white horseradish
- 6 ounces thinly sliced smoked salmon
- 1. Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C).
- 2. Place the pizza crust on a heavy, large baking sheet. Bake until crisp at the edges, about 13 minutes. Transfer the crust to a rack; cool to lukewarm.
- 3. Stir the cream cheese with the next four ingredients to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 4. Spread the cheese topping over the crust, leaving a 1-inch plain border. Top with the salmon.
- 5. Cut the pizza into wedges; transfer to a platter to serve.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Testers ChoiceTesters Choice
Jan 11, 2006
The popular lox on a bagel is reinvented into a delectable smoked-salmon pizza that’s suitable for summertime entertaining. This appetizer dons a creamy, cool layer of cream cheese and pieces of smoked salmon on a thin, crispy crust. The tried and true combination of lemon, dill, red onion, and horseradish mixed into whipped cream cheese complements the salmon perfectly. I’d recommend making the spread a day ahead of time to give the flavors a chance to blend—and to cut down on prep time. I’d also cut the pizza into small, finger-sized pieces, as I thought the wedges were too big. Make this smoked-salmon pizza one of you’re a-list appetizers. I’m sure it will please you and your guests.
Smoked-Salmon Pizza with Red Onion and Dill Recipe © 2006 Condé Nast Publications. Photo © 2006 Kitty Leaken. All rights reserved.