This is an easy twist on the classic companion for a glass of chilled champagne: buckwheat pancakes called blini topped with sour cream and smoked salmon. Here a purchased pizza crust replaces the traditional blini as the base for the salmon; the sour cream is replaced by cream cheese enhanced with the piquant flavors of red onion, horseradish, fresh dill, and lemon peel.
Note: Be sure to let the crust cool a bit after you crisp it in the oven, so its heat won’t melt the cream-cheese topping or partially cook the salmon.—Barbara Fairchild
One 10-ounce purchased fully baked, thin pizza crust
4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 cup minced red onion
1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
2 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
1 teaspoon prepared white horseradish
6 ounces thinly sliced smoked salmon
1. Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C).
2. Place the pizza crust on a heavy, large baking sheet. Bake until crisp at the edges, about 13 minutes. Transfer the crust to a rack; cool to lukewarm.
3. Stir the cream cheese with the next four ingredients to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Spread the cheese topping over the crust, leaving a 1-inch plain border. Top with the salmon.
5. Cut the pizza into wedges; transfer to a platter to serve.
Recipe © 2006 by Condé Nast Publications. All rights reserved.