This is one of those dishes that I have to order every single time I go to Chinatown and see them on the menu. I love the crunch of the lettuce, the saltiness of the soy sauce and the sweetness of the oyster sauce. You can substitute turkey, pork, or squab with equally delicious results.–Joanne Weir
Chicken Lettuce Wraps Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 20 M
- 20 M
- Serves 6
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 pound ground dark meat chicken
- 8 scallions, white and green parts, minced
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2/3 cup water chestnuts, chopped
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 large head butter lettuce, leaves separated
- 1. Warm the oil in a skillet or wok over medium-high heat.
- 2. Add the chicken, scallions and cornstarch and cook, stirring constantly the chicken is cooked and broken into pieces, 3 to 4 minutes.
- 3. Add the water chestnuts, soy sauce, ginger, and oyster sauce and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
- 4. To serve, take 1 lettuce leaf at a time and spoon a heaping tablespoon of the chicken mixture into the center. Wrap the lettuce around the filling. Serve.
- Gewürztraminer, Pinot Gris, or Pinot Grigio.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Chicken Lettuce Wraps Recipe © 2004 Joanne Weir. Photo © 2004 Penina Meisels. All rights reserved.