Halibut is a meaty yet light fish, and the brightness of the tomatoes pairs beautifully with the fresh thyme. The herb butter helps the flavor of the herb really shine through.–Karen Bussen
Oven-Roasted Halibut with Cherry Tomatoes and Thyme Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 30 M
- 50 M
- Serves 6
- 6 tablespoons butter, at room temperature, plus 2 tablespoons for sauteing
- 12 sprigs thyme, plus 1 tablespoon chopped
- 1 large savoy cabbage (about 2 pounds), finely shredded
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
- 6 halibut fillets, about 5 ounces each
- Salt and pepper
- Juice of 2 lemons (1/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup Sauvignon Blanc, or other dry white wine
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the butter and the chopped thyme, mixing to incorporate the herbs. If you like, spoon the herb butter into the center of a piece of parchment or wax paper and roll it into a log shape. Chill the butter for at least an hour for easy slicing. If you don’t want to make the butter log, just chill the butter in a bowl covered with plastic (it won’t look as good, but the butter is going to melt in the oven anyway).
- 2. Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
- 3. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large pan, and saute the cabbage and scallions over medium heat until tender, about 6 minutes. Portion the cooked cabbage into 6 equal piles in a casserole dish.
- 4. Place a halibut fillet on each pile of cabbage, season with salt and pepper, and drizzle with lemon juice and white wine. Cut the prepared herb butter into 6 equal-sized pats, and place one on top of each fillet. Scatter halved tomatoes evenly around the fillets. Top each piece of halibut with 2 sprigs of thyme. Cover the casserole with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
- Baked Halibut with Asparagus, Leeks, and Dill from Gluten-Free Girl
- Grilled Halibut with Southwestern Rub and Tomatillo Salsa from Kalyn's Kitchen
- Sole à La Meunière from Leite's Culinaria
- Fish in Parchment with Zucchini from Leite's Culinaria
Oven-Roasted Halibut with Cherry Tomatoes and Thyme Recipe © 2009 Karen Bussen. Photo © 2009 William Geddes. All rights reserved.