This dish for curried cauliflower with currants and pine nuts was created by Cat Cora: “One of my first plant-based recipes was a mushroom pâté, and I loved every bite of it. How wonderful to enjoy pate and still feel healthy. Cooking with plants forces more creativity and resourcefulness with the ingredients on hand.”–Linda Long
Curried Cauliflower Salad Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 15 M
- 15 M
- Serves 6 to 8
- For the curried dressing
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons Madras curry powder, or garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- For the cauliflower
- 2 pounds cauliflower crowns
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1 cup dried currants
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- Cilantro leaves
- Make the curried dressing
- 1. In a large bowl, mix rice wine vinegar and sugar until the sugar is dissolved. Whisk in the curry powder, salt, and pepper. Very slowly, drizzle the olive oil and whisk into the vinegar mixture until incorporated. Taste and add more salt and pepper if desired; set dressing aside.
- Prepare the cauliflower
- 2. Blanch cauliflower in water with salt. Drain and add pine nuts, currants, sunflower seeds, and onion. Pour the dressing over the salad, tossing lightly to mix thoroughly. Chill for 1 to 2 hours before serving.
- 3. To plate the dish, mound the curried cauliflower salad onto plate in a pyramid shape. Garnish with a few cilantro leaves.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Curried Cauliflower Salad Recipe © 2009 Linda Long. Photo © 2009 Linda Long. All rights reserved.