This white asparagus-orange salad was created by Jose Andres: “For me, the farmer’s market has become a Sunday ritual. Just as they do in Spain today, the smaller organic farmers are introducing the city crowd to new fruits and vegetables. I find inspiration for wonderful tapas dishes every week.”–Linda Long
White Asparagus with Oranges and Olives Recipe
Hands-On Time: 15 minutes | Total Time: 30 minutes | Serves 1
- For the black olive oil
- 1 cup black olives
- 1 1/2 cups extra virgin olive oil, divided
- For the white asparagus
- 4 fresh white asparagus spears
- 4 orange segments
- 2 black olives, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon Black Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Sherry Dressing
- For the sherry dressing
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Micro greens
- Make the black olive oil
- 1. In a blender, purée the olives and 1/2 cup oil. In a bowl, mix the remaining oil and black olive purée. (see Note)
- Prepare the white asparagus and oranges
- 2. Gently peel the stem of the asparagus and set aside. Bring salted water to a boil. Drop in the asparagus and cook for 3 minutes. Remove and shock in an ice water bath to stop the cooking process; cool. Peel an orange, removing all the white pith; remove segments by cutting on each side of the white membrane just to the center of the orange.
- Make the sherry dressing
- 3. In a small bowl, whisk together all the dressing ingredients.
- 4. To plate, carefully toss the white asparagus, oranges, sherry dressing, and salt. Remove the asparagus and cut in half. Place on a small plate in log cabin style. Place orange segments and black olives around the asparagus. Drizzle black olive oil around the plate and garnish with micro greens.
- This recipe makes more dressing than is needed for this recipe. Keep on hand for use with many dishes, or reduce the recipe while keeping the same proportions. Keep refrigerated.
White Asparagus with Oranges and Olives Recipe © 2009 Linda Long. Photo © 2009 Linda Long. All rights reserved.