The combination of ginger, lemon, and mint gives this turkey soup a light, bright flavor. You could substitute cooked chicken for the turkey, if you wish.–Jennifer McLagan
LC Love Your Leftovers Note
This soup cries out for leftover Thanksgiving turkey. It also has the benefit of providing a good, healthy dose of fresh veggies to help counteract any over-indulging. As a final bonus, mint is well known for being a great aid to the digestion, so that added greenery isn’t only adding color and flavor. Of course, you can make this soup at any time of year, whenever you find yourself with turkey or chicken leftovers. You might find yourself buying bigger-than-strictly-necessary birds for this very reason.
Turkey Soup with Ginger, Lemon, and Mint Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 20 M
- 40 M
- Serves 4
- 3 leeks (white part only), sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 4 1/2 cups turkey stock, homemade chicken stock or canned chicken broth
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- One 1-inch chunk ginger, peeled and cut into matchsticks (to yield about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 cup diced cooked turkey
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup finely shredded fresh mint leaves
- 1. Put the sliced leeks in a large bowl of cold water and let them soak for 10 minutes. Lift them out carefully, making sure to leave the grit at the bottom of the bowl behind, and set aside (there’s no need to dry them).
- 2. Put the turkey stock and carrots in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and cover the pot. Simmer for 5 minutes and then add the leeks and ginger. Continue to cook, covered until the vegetables are just tender, about another 5 minutes.
- 3. Add the diced turkey, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Simmer until the turkey is heated through, about 2 minutes. Adjust the seasonings if needed, add the shredded mint, and serve the turkey soup immediately.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Turkey Soup with Ginger, Lemon, and Mint Recipe © 2009 Fine Cooking. Photo © 2009 Scott Phillips. All rights reserved.