This is a lovely variation of a classic French salad. Instead of herb- or breadcrumb-crusted rounds of goat cheese, the goat cheese is wrapped in phyllo and baked until the phyllo is browned. Then it’s sliced and served with a colorful salad and roasted red, green, and yellow peppers.–The Culinary Institute of America and Martha Rose Shulman
Goat Cheese in Phyllo with Roasted Pepper Salad Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 40 M
- 1 H, 40 M
- Serves 6
- 2 cups homemade chicken stock or canned chicken broth
- 20 pearl onions
- One 12-ounce log goat cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh herbs, such as parsley, chives, chervil, and tarragon
- 6 sheets phyllo dough
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water for egg wash
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large red bell peppers, roasted
- 2 large yellow bell peppers, roasted
- 2 large green bell peppers, roasted
- 3 cups baby salad greens
- 1. Bring the chicken stock to a boil in a saucepan and drop in the pearl onions. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the onions are very tender, 30 to 45 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- 2. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll the cheese log in the chopped herbs.
- 3. Layer the phyllo sheets on a piece of parchment paper, brushing each sheet lightly with melted butter. Work quickly so that the phyllo doesn’t dry out or it will crack when you roll it.
- 4. Place the goat cheese log along the long edge of the stacked phyllo. Tuck the ends of the dough over the ends of the log. Using the parchment paper as a guide, roll up the dough tightly, completely enclosing the goat cheese. Brush the roll with melted butter and egg wash, and score into portions, cutting one-third the depth of the strudel. Place on the parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, until golden brown.
- 5. To make the vinaigrette, combine the red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Whisk in the olive oil.
- 6. Toss together the roasted peppers, simmered onions, and half the vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper to taste. In a separate bowl, toss the salad greens with the remaining vinaigrette and season with salt and pepper.
- 7. For each portion, arrange the dressed salad greens on one side of a plate and a small mound of the pepper salad on the other. Slice the phyllo log and serve on the pepper salad.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
- Mini Phyllo Cups with Whipped Goat Cheese, Grapes, and Thyme from A Farmgirl's Dabbles
- Goat Cheese Phyllo Purses from Confections of a Foodie Bride
- Lamb and Olive Stuffed Phyllo Dough Cigars from Leite's Culinaria
- Goat Cheese Salad from Leite's Culinaria
Goat Cheese in Phyllo with Roasted Pepper Salad Recipe © 2006 The Culinary Institute of America. Photo © 2006 Ben Fink. All rights reserved.