This is a lovely variation of a classic French salad. Instead of herb- or breadcrumb-crusted rounds of goat cheese, the goat cheese is wrapped in phyllo and baked until the phyllo is browned. Then it’s sliced and served with a colorful salad and roasted red, green, and yellow peppers.–The Culinary Institute of America and Martha Rose Shulman
Goat Cheese in Phyllo with Roasted Pepper Salad Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 40 M
- 1 H, 40 M
- Serves 6
- 2 cups homemade chicken stock or canned chicken broth
- 20 pearl onions
- One 12-ounce log goat cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh herbs, such as parsley, chives, chervil, and tarragon
- 6 sheets phyllo dough
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water for egg wash
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large red bell peppers, roasted
- 2 large yellow bell peppers, roasted
- 2 large green bell peppers, roasted
- 3 cups baby salad greens
- 1. Bring the chicken stock to a boil in a saucepan and drop in the pearl onions. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the onions are very tender, 30 to 45 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- 2. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll the cheese log in the chopped herbs.
- 3. Layer the phyllo sheets on a piece of parchment paper, brushing each sheet lightly with melted butter. Work quickly so that the phyllo doesn’t dry out or it will crack when you roll it.
- 4. Place the goat cheese log along the long edge of the stacked phyllo. Tuck the ends of the dough over the ends of the log. Using the parchment paper as a guide, roll up the dough tightly, completely enclosing the goat cheese. Brush the roll with melted butter and egg wash, and score into portions, cutting one-third the depth of the strudel. Place on the parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, until golden brown.
- 5. To make the vinaigrette, combine the red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Whisk in the olive oil.
- 6. Toss together the roasted peppers, simmered onions, and half the vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper to taste. In a separate bowl, toss the salad greens with the remaining vinaigrette and season with salt and pepper.
- 7. For each portion, arrange the dressed salad greens on one side of a plate and a small mound of the pepper salad on the other. Slice the phyllo log and serve on the pepper salad.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
- Mini Phyllo Cups with Whipped Goat Cheese, Grapes, and Thyme from A Farmgirl's Dabbles
- Goat Cheese Phyllo Purses from Confections of a Foodie Bride
- Lamb and Olive Stuffed Phyllo Dough Cigars from Leite's Culinaria
- Goat Cheese Salad from Leite's Culinaria
Goat Cheese in Phyllo with Roasted Pepper Salad Recipe © 2006 The Culinary Institute of America. Photo © 2006 Ben Fink. All rights reserved.
Hello. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!