To make this stuffing, you’ll need to first dry the bread. Spread the bread cubes out onto 2 large baking sheets and dry in a 300°F (150°C) oven for 30 to 60 minutes. Let the bread cool before using in the stuffing.–Editors at America’s Test Kitchen
LC Storied Stuffing Note
This recipe turns out the stuffing of our dreams. Or at least the stuffing our day dreams, seeing as it’s the bread stuffing that we’d always imagined making in our Rockwell-ian musings about what Thanksgiving could be like. The pound of bacon may have something to do with it. But don’t make yourself wait for this storied stuffing. Try it tonight.
Bread Stuffing with Bacon and Apples Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 25 M
- 1 H
- Makes about 12 cups
- 1 pound bacon, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch strips
- 6 small onions, peeled and thinly sliced (about 7 cups)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch dice (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh sage leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 12 cups high-quality white sandwich bread, cut into 3/4-inch cubes (2 to 3 pounds)
- 1 to 1 3/4 cups turkey or homemade chicken stock, or low-sodium canned chicken broth
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1. Cook the bacon in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp and browned, about 12 minutes. Remove the bacon from the pan with a slotted spoon and transfer it to paper towels to drain. Pour off all but 3 tablespoons bacon drippings.
- 2. Increase the heat under the skillet to medium-high and add the onions and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook until the onions are golden in color, making sure to occasionally stir and scrape the sides and bottom of the pan, about 20 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and continue to cook, stirring more often to prevent burning, until the onions are deep golden brown, another 5 minutes. Add the apples and continue to cook another 5 minutes.
- 3. Transfer the contents of the pan to a large bowl and add the parsley, sage, remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt, and the pepper and mix to combine. Add the bread and gently stir again.
- 4. Whisk 1 cup broth and the eggs together in a small bowl. If baking the stuffing outside the turkey in a baking dish, add another 1/2 cup broth to the egg mixture. Pour the mixture over the bread, add the bacon, and gently toss until thoroughly combined. Cover the baking dish with foil and bake in any temperature oven until warmed through, at least 30 minutes. If a crisp surface is desired, uncover the stuffing and bake for at least 15 minutes more. If baking the stuffing inside the turkey, cram the stuffing into your hen and roast according to whatever recipe you’re using for the turkey.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Bread Stuffing with Bacon and Apples Recipe © 2009 Editors at America's Test Kitchen. Photo © 2009 Carl Tremblay. All rights reserved.