Know some chocoholics? If they’re not in rehab, they’re going to become your very best friends when you bring in this baby. It’s another recipe Momma gave me. I made it for the “Morning Edition” overnight staff during the month after the 2000 presidential election, when we were still wondering who’d won: Bush or Gore. At 3 a.m., the cake was on the counter. At 3:16 it was gone. The cake would have lasted until 3:20, but Newscast’s Dave Mattingly had five pieces. He said one was for Carl Kasell, but I know that was a lie.–Melissa Gray
Special Equipment: One 10-inch tube pan
Chocolate Pound Cake Recipe
Hands-On Time: 20 minutes | Total Time: 2 hours | Serve 20 to 32
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 large eggs
- 1. Position a rack so the cake will sit in the middle of the oven, and preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C). Line the bottom of your pan with parchment paper, and spray the sides and bottom with baking spray.
- 2. In the bowl of an electric mixer, dry whisk the flour, sugar, and cocoa together.
- 3. Gradually add the butter, shortening, and milk and beat on medium speed until smooth.
- 4. Add the baking powder and salt, and beat until incorporated.
- 5. Still on medium speed, add the vanilla extract and then add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- 6. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 1 1/2 hours, or until a toothpick or thin knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 7. Cool the cake in the pan for 10 minutes. Remove the cake from the pan using our plate-over-pan method and flip it onto a cake rack. Continue cooling the cake.
Chocolate Pound Cake Recipe © 2009 Melissa Gray. Photo © 2009 Annabelle Breakey. All rights reserved.