The prevailing wisdom is that this cocktail is not a predecessor of the martini. I am not sure if this is so, but it is a great old drink that deftly illustrates how complicated the flavors in this family can be. Upon tasting, you will be hard put to discern any particular flavor components here; the gin and the mixing spirits surrender their individual flavors to a sea of subtle spice.–Eben Klemm
- Quick Glance
- 5 M
- 5 M
- Serves 1
- 2 ounces gin (I suggest London-style or Plymouth gin)
- 1 ounce sweet vermouth
- 1/4 ounce maraschino liqueur
- Dash of orange bitters
- Lemon peel, for garnish
- 1. Pour the gin, vermouth, maraschino liqueur, and bitters into an empty cocktail shaker.
- 2. Fill the shaker completely with ice and stir with a bar spoon until the outside is cold.
- 3. Strain and serve, garnished with lemon peel.
Thirsty for more? Sip on these:
Martinez Recipe © 2009 B.R. Guest, LLC. Photo © 2009 Miki Duisterhof. All rights reserved.