I got the recipe for this cake from my cousin Joan years ago. You can bake it in an eight-inch square glass baking dish or, for individual servings, in eight 4-ounce ramekins.–Cindy Pawlcyn with Pablo Jacinto and Erasto Jacinto
Lemon-Buttermilk Pudding Cake with Berries Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 30 M
- 1 H
- Serves 6 to 8
- For the cake
- 2/3 cup plus 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 large eggs, separated
- For the chantilly cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 2 pints fresh raspberries or blueberries, mashed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons Cointreau or other liqueur
- Make the cake
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- 2. In a large bowl, whisk together 2/3 cup of the sugar and the flour. Add the lemon juice, zest, and buttermilk and whisk until smooth.
- 3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the butter and the egg yolks. Stir the egg yolk mixture into the buttermilk mixture.
- 4. Using the whisk attachment of a mixer, whip the egg whites until frothy. Sprinkle in the remaining 1/4 cup sugar and whip until soft peaks form, about 1 minute. Fold the egg whites into the egg yolk and buttermilk mixture. The batter should be smooth and thick.
- 5. Pour the batter into a baking dish and place the dish in a water bath with the water halfway up the sides of the dish. Bake 23 to 30 minutes, until slightly brown and beginning to crack but still jiggly. The smaller the baking dish, the less time will be needed to reach this stage. Cool to room temperature.
- Make the chantilly cream
- 6. Whip together the cream, vanilla, and the 2 tablespoons of powdered sugar in a bowl until fluffy. Keep chilled until needed.
- To serve
- 7. Turn the cake out onto a serving platter. (Individual ramekins do better in low, rimmed soup dishes.) Spoon on mashed berries, sprinkle with sugar, and drizzle with Cointreau. Finish with a dollop of cream and a dusting of powdered sugar.
Lemon-Buttermilk Pudding Cake with Berries Recipe © 2006 Cindy Pawlcyn. Photo © 2006 Laurie Smith. All rights reserved.