“Serendipity is where you go to feel like a kid again.”–Alec Baldwin
Mississippi Mud Cake Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 20 M
- 1 H
- One gooey 9-inch round cake
- For the cake
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for the pan
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for the pan
- 1 1/2 cups alkalized cocoa
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups marshmallows
- For the topping
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 cup alkalized cocoa
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup butter, melted and cooled
- Make the cake
- 1. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Butter and flour the bottom and sides of a 9-inch round cake pan.
- 2. Sift together the flour and cocoa. Cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. At low speed, mix the dry ingredients into the butter mixture. Add the chopped pecans and the vanilla extract and continue mixing until combined.
- 3. Scrape the mixture into the prepared cake pan and bake on a rack in the middle of the oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
- 4. Remove the cake and sprinkle the top with the marshmallows, then return it to the oven and continue baking until the marshmallows melt and start to brown. Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan set on a rack.
- Make the topping
- 5. Sift together the confectioners’ sugar and the cocoa into a medium bowl. Add the pecans, evaporated milk, and melted butter, and mix until combined.
- To serve
- 6. Slice the cake into wedges to serve, and drizzle topping over cake as desired. Store loosely covered at room temperature.
Mississippi Mud Cake Recipe © 2004 Alec Baldwin. Photo © 2004 Liz Steger. All rights reserved.