While it’s hard to improve upon one of your mom’s best cakes, I think this comes close as a very suitable equal. (Yes, even she approves!) The secret to a tender crumb is the addition of club soda — the carbonation acts as a leavening agent.–Jennifer Appel
Orange Marble Pound Cake Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 20 M
- 1 H, 40 M
- Serves 10 to 12
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup club soda (not seltzer)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 3 tablespoons orange liqueur
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and lightly flour a 10-inch Bundt pan.
- 2. In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- 3. Add the flour in thirds, alternating with the club soda, beating after each addition until smooth. Add the vanilla, zest, and liqueur and mix well.
- 4. Pour two-thirds of the batter into the prepared pan. In a small bowl, take the cocoa powder and 1 cup of the remaining batter and mix together until smooth. Spoon this mixture into the pan. Cover with the remaining batter bake 1 hour 10 minutes to 1 hour 20 minutes until golden brown, or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- 5. Let cake cool in pan for 20 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely on a wire rack.
Orange Marble Pound Cake Recipe © 2001 Jennifer Appel. Photo © 2001 Sang An. All rights reserved.