Topped with a layer of creamy caramel and pecans and then drizzled with chocolate, these brownies are cousins of the candies known as turtles. Hershey’s caramels really make the creamiest topping, but the brownies are still delicious if you must substitute cellophane-wrapped square caramels (you’ll need fewer of them, about thirty-six). My mother makes these whenever she’s asked to bring dessert.–Judith Sutton
Caramel-Topped Turtle Brownies Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 40 M
- 2 H, 20 M
- Makes about 36 brownies
- For the brownies
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 ounces high-quality unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- For the caramel topping
- 45 Hershey’s caramels (about 10 ounces)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Generous 2 cups pecan halves
- For the drizzle
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- Make the brownies
- 1. Put a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking pan.
- 2. Combine the butter and chocolate in a medium heavy saucepan and melt over low heat, stirring frequently until smooth. Remove from the heat.
- 3. In a large bowl, beat the eggs and both sugars with an electric mixer on low speed just until smooth. Beat in the salt. Beat in the melted chocolate mixture, and then beat in the vanilla. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. On low speed, beat in the flour in two additions.
- 4. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake for 20 to 22 minutes, until just firm to the touch. Transfer the pan to a wire rack.
- Make the caramel topping
- 5. Meanwhile, melt the caramels with the cream in a large heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently, until smooth. Add the pecans and stir until well coated.
- 6. Scrape the topping onto the hot brownie layer, gently spreading it evenly. Let cool on the rack then refrigerate the brownie for 1 hour, or until the topping is chilled and set.
- Make the drizzle
- 7. Combine the chocolate and cream in a small heavy saucepan and heat over low heat, stirring frequently, until melted and smooth. Using a fork, drizzle or spatter the chocolate over the bars in a zigzag pattern. Refrigerate for 30 minutes, or until the chocolate is set.
- 8. Using a sharp heavy knife, cut the brownie, in the pan, into 36 bars. Serve chilled or at room temperature. (The bars can be refrigerated, tightly covered, for up to 5 days; they can also be frozen, well wrapped, for up to 2 weeks.)
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Caramel-Topped Turtle Brownies Recipe © 2005 Judith Sutton. All rights reserved.