These cream cheese swirl brownies are one of my favorite brownies because they’re not too fudgy and not too cakey. Of course, then you add the pecans and Heath bars and you have the perfect brownie.–Allysa Torey
LC Brownie Perfection Note
If your idea of brownie perfection is a slightly gooey, nutty brownie bedecked with swirls of cheesecake and chunks of toffee, you’ve found it in this recipe.
Cream Cheese Swirl Brownies with Heath Bars and Pecans Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 30 M
- 1 H, 30 M
- Makes 24 brownies
- For the cream cheese filling
- One 8-ounce package cream cheese, not softened
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- For the brownies
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for the baking pan
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons (6 ounces) unsalted butter
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped toasted pecans
- 2/3 cup chopped Heath bars (about two 1.4-ounce bars) or any chocolate-covered toffee bar
- 1. Preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C). Butter and lightly flour a 13-by-9-inch baking pan.
- Make the cream cheese filling
- 2. In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese with the sugar until smooth. Add the egg and flour and beat well.
- Make the brownies
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- 4. In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt the butter with the chocolate, stirring occasionally, until smooth. Remove from the heat, transfer to a large bowl, and let cool until lukewarm, about 5 minutes.
- 5. Stir in the sugar. Add the eggs, milk, and vanilla and beat well. Add the flour mixture and mix thoroughly. Stir in half the pecans and half the Heath bars. Spread all but 1/2 cup batter evenly in the prepared pan.
- 6. Drop the cream cheese mixture by tablespoonfuls on top of the batter. Next, drop the reserved brownie batter by teaspoonfuls in between the blobs of cream cheese filling. Using a small knife, swirl the two batters together, forming a decorative pattern. Sprinkle the remaining pecans and Heath Bars over the top, and using a spatula, gently press them into the batter. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center of the pan comes out with moist crumbs attached. Do not overbake. Let the brownies cool in the pan overnight before cutting into 2-inch squares and letting everyone indulge their mad crazy cravings.
- To toast the pecans, place on a baking sheet in a 350°F (175°C) oven for 15 minutes, or until lightly browned and fragrant.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Cream Cheese Swirl Brownies with Heath Bars and Pecans Recipe © 2006 Allysa Torey. Photo © 2006 John Kernick. All rights reserved.