Cocoa powder transforms waffle batter in a deep, dark, and enchanted way, making a fine dessert of these dark chocolate waffles—delicious served warm with a pour of hot fudge sauce, a cold and creamy scoop of vanilla ice cream, or a swirl of whipped cream. Once you’ve lingered over these, you may forget about making plain waffles ever again.–Lisa Yockelson
Dark Chocolate Waffles Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 25 M
- 25 M
- Makes 5 Belgian-style waffles
- 1 1/2 cups bleached all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened alkalized cocoa powder
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- 9 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled to tepid
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- 3/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Confectioners’ sugar, for sprinkling
- 1. Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar into a medium bowl.
- 2. In another medium bowl, whisk the melted butter, eggs, sour cream, vanilla extract, and milk.
- 3. Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture, add the chocolate chips, and stir to form a batter, using a wooden spoon or flat paddle on a stand mixer, mixing until all the flour is absorbed. Be sure to scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl to thoroughly incorporate the dry ingredients.
- 4. Preheat a deep-pocketed waffle iron composed of two 4 1/2-inch squares (the entire grid section should measure about 4 1/2 by 9 inches) or a 5-interconnected-heart waffler maker.
- 5. Spoon 1/3 to 1/2 cup batter onto each square of the preheated waffle iron or spoon about 2/3 cup batter into the center of the single 5-heart waffler. Cook the waffles for about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, or until completely cooked through and set. Lift the waffles onto warm serving plates.
- 6. Wait a moment before serving the to allow the chips to cool down. Sprinkle the waffles with confectioners’ sugar and serve.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
- Orange Cinnamon Belgian Waffles with Dark Chocolate Hot Fudge from Desserts for Breakfast
- Chocolate Waffles a la Mode from Taste and Tell
- Liege Waffles from Leite's Culinaria
- Cornmeal and Oat Waffles from Leite's Culinaria
Dark Chocolate Waffles Recipe © 2005 Lisa Yockelson. Photo © 2005 Ben Fink. All rights reserved.