Cocoa powder transforms waffle batter in a deep, dark, and enchanted way, making a fine dessert — delicious served warm with a pour of hot fudge sauce, a cold and creamy scoop of vanilla ice cream, or a swirl of whipped cream. Once you’ve lingered over these on a casual late-night weekend, you may forget about making plain waffles ever again.–Lisa Yockelson
Dark Chocolate Waffles Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 25 M
- 25 M
- Makes 5 Belgian-style waffles
- 1 1/2 cups bleached all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened alkalized cocoa powder
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- 9 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled to tepid
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- 3/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Confectioners’ sugar, for sprinkling over the waffles
- 1. Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar into a medium-size mixing bowl.
- 2. In another medium-size mixing bowl, whisk the melted butter, eggs, sour cream, vanilla extract, and milk.
- 3. Pour the whisked mixture over the sifted mixture, add the chocolate chips, and stir to form a batter, using a wooden spoon or flat paddle, mixing until the particles of flour are absorbed. Be sure to sweep the bottom and sides of the mixing bowl to thoroughly incorporate the dry ingredients.
- 4. Preheat a deep-pocketed waffle iron composed of two 4 1/2-inch squares (the entire grid section should measure about 4 1/2 by 9 inches). Or, preheat a 5-interconnected-heart waffler maker.
- 5. Spoon 1/3 to 1/2 cup batter onto each square of the preheated waffle iron or spoon about 2/3 cup batter into the center of the single 5-heart waffler. Cook the waffles for about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, or until completely cooked through and set. Lift waffles onto warm serving plates.
- 6. The heart-shaped waffle can be served whole or divided into individual hearts. Wait a moment before serving them to allow the chips to cool down. Sprinkle the waffles with confectioners’ sugar and serve.
Dark Chocolate Waffles Recipe © 2005 Lisa Yockelson. Photo © 2005 Ben Fink. All rights reserved.