Baking and decorating cookies signals the arrival of the winter season. Once the cookie cutters, sprinkles, and royal icing are on the counter, the season is officially launched. Here’s a simple, luscious cookie to add to your cookie repertoire.–Emily Luchetti
Hazelnut Sandwich Cookies Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 40 M
- 3 H
- Makes about 32 cookies
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, toasted and skins removed
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, softened
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup Nutella or your favorite jam, or as needed
- 1. In a food processor, finely grind the hazelnuts with 1/2 cup of the flour.
- 2. Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat together the butter, cream cheese, and sugar until light in color and smooth, 1 minute with a stand mixer or 2 minutes with a handheld mixer. Add the egg and mix until combined.
- 3. On low speed, add the ground hazelnuts, the remaining flour, the salt, and the baking powder and mix until smooth. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- 4. Divide the dough into 4 pieces. On a lightly sugared work surface, roll the dough into 4 logs, each 8 inches long. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour until firm.
- 5. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- 6. Slice the dough into 1/2-inch-thick rounds. Place on the prepared baking sheets about 2 inches apart and bake until golden brown around the edges, about 8 minutes. Let cool to room temperature.
- 7. Sandwich 2 cookies together using about 1 teaspoon of Nutella or jam for each.
- The cookie dough can be made several days in advance and kept refrigerated. It can also be frozen. The cookies can be made several days in advance (without the filling). Store at room temperature in an airtight container. Sandwich the cookies the day you plan to serve them.
Hazelnut Sandwich Cookies Recipe © 2003 Emily Luchetti. Photo © 2003 Minh & Wass. All rights reserved.