Steamed fish is a healthful and quick-cooking dinner option. Adding a few aromatics to the steaming liquid enhances the taste of the fish without using any butter or oil. Haddock, halibut, or other firm-fleshed white fish can be used in place of the cod.–Editors of Everyday Food
LC Goofy for Ginger Note
When a recipe calls for peeled ginger, rather than struggle over the knobby surface with a paring knife or a vegetable peeler, try what the editors of Everyday Cooking suggest, which is to reach for a spoon. Holding the ginger steady with one hand, they suggest, scrape the spoon toward you in short strokes. When you reach an especially tight crevice, you may just need to slice off the knobby portion of ginger to make for smooth scraping.
Steamed Cod with Ginger and Scallions Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 15 M
- 15 M
- Serves 4
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar (optional)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons finely grated peeled ginger
- 4 (1 1/2 pounds) skinless Pacific cod fillets
- 6 scallions
- 1. In a large skillet with a tight-fitting lid, combine the vinegar, soy sauce, and ginger. Season both sides of the cod fillets with salt and pepper and place them in the skillet. Bring the liquid to a boil. Reduce the heat to a gentle simmer, cover, and cook until the fish is almost but not quite opaque throughout, 6 to 8 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, cut the green parts of the scallions into 3-inch lengths and then thinly slice each piece lengthwise into strips (reserve the white parts for another use). Carefully turn the fish, scatter the scallions over the top, cover, and cook until the fish is completely opaque throughout and the scallions are just wilted, about 2 minutes more. Gently shimmy a slotted metal spatula beneath the fillets and transfer to individual plates, leaving the aromatic cooking liquid in the skillet. Serve immediately.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
- Beer Battered Cod from Brown Eyed Baker
- Miso Glazed Black Cod from No Recipes
- Portuguese Salt Cod Fritters from Leite's Culinaria
- Portuguese Scrambled Eggs with Salt Cod and Potatoes from Leite's Culinaria
Steamed Cod with Ginger and Scallions Recipe © 2010 Martha Stewart Living OmniMedia. Photo © 2010 Minh + Wass. All rights reserved.
Hey, there. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!