More from Magnolia | Simon & Schuster, 2004 | Makes one 10-inch tart|
This tart is a nice alternative to apple pie, and it makes a great dessert for a dinner party, especially if served with vanilla ice cream and perhaps some caramel sauce.—Allysa Torey
Active time: 35 minutes | Total time: 2 hours, 25 minutes .
Apple Tart with Hazelnut-Brown Sugar Topping Recipe
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened and cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped hazelnuts
- 3 cups thinly sliced tart apples
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
1. Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
2. In a medium-size bowl, mix together the flour and sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the hazelnuts and, using your hands, toss until all the ingredients are well combined. Set aside.
3. Place all the ingredients in a large bowl and toss gently until the fruit is evenly coated. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl, on the low speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until smooth. Add the egg and egg yolk, and mix well. Add the flour and baking powder, and beat until just combined.
5. Gather the dough into a ball and on a lightly floured surface, roll it out to fit a 10-inch tart pan. Fit the dough into the pan and trim the edge flush with the rim of the pan.
6. Transfer the fruit filling into the crust and sprinkle the brown sugar topping evenly over the fruit. Place the tart on a baking sheet and bake for 50 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 1 to 2 hours. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Custard Apple Tart from My Baking Addiction
- Apple Pie Pockets from The Purple Foodie
- Honey-Ginger Apple Tarts with Cinnamon-Sugar Walnuts from Leite’s Culinaria
- Rustic Apple Tarts from Leite’s Culinaria
Apple tart with hazelnut-brown sugar topping recipe © 2004 Allysa Torey. Photo © 2004 Zeva Oelbaum. All rights reserved.