This tart is a nice alternative to apple pie, and it makes a great dessert for a dinner party, especially if served with vanilla ice cream and perhaps some caramel sauce.–Allysa Torey
Apple Tart with Hazelnut-Brown Sugar Topping Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 35 M
- 2 H, 25 M
- Makes one 10-inch tart
- For the brown sugar topping
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened and cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped hazelnuts
- For the filling
- 3 cups thinly sliced tart apples
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the crust
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Make the topping
- 2. In a medium-size bowl, mix together the flour and sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the hazelnuts and, using your hands, toss until all the ingredients are well combined. Set aside.
- Make the filling
- 3. Place all the ingredients in a large bowl and toss gently until the fruit is evenly coated. Set aside.
- Make the crust
- 4. In a large bowl, on the low speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until smooth. Add the egg and egg yolk, and mix well. Add the flour and baking powder, and beat until just combined.
- 5. Gather the dough into a ball and on a lightly floured surface, roll it out to fit a 10-inch tart pan. Fit the dough into the pan and trim the edge flush with the rim of the pan.
- 6. Transfer the fruit filling into the crust and sprinkle the brown sugar topping evenly over the fruit. Place the tart on a baking sheet and bake for 50 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 1 to 2 hours. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Apple Tart with Hazelnut-Brown Sugar Topping Recipe © 2004 Allysa Torey. Photo © 2004 Zeva Oelbaum. All rights reserved.
Hey, there. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!