This lighter version of bread pudding has a minty flavor and is bursting with deep-purple baked blueberries. The pudding can be prepared a day in advance.
It is best when refrigerated for at least 6 hours before serving.–Daniel Boulud
Blueberry Brioche Bread Pudding Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 25 M
- 1 H
- Serves 4
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split and scraped, or a few drops pure vanilla extract
- 5 mint sprigs, 1 sprig, leaves only, reserved for garnish
- Zest of 1 lemon, grated
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 gelatin sheets, or 1 packet unflavored Knox gelatin
- 8 ounces fresh blueberries
- 4 slices brioche or challah bread, cut 1/3 inch thick
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Combine the milk, cream, vanilla (bean and scrapings), 4 mint sprigs, and lemon zest in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Remove from heat, stir in the sugar and gelatin, and let set for 3 minutes. Remove the mint and vanilla bean.
- 2. Place a baking cup 3 inches in diameter and 1 1/2-inches deep top side down on the center of a slice of bread to cut out a disk the size of the cup. Discard the bread trimmings and set the bread disk aside. Repeat with the remaining 3 bread slices.
- 3. Fill 4 baking cups halfway with blueberries. Pour the warm milk mixture over the blueberries to fill each cup 3/4 full. Place 1 bread disk in each cup over the blueberry mixture. Transfer to the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes (the custard should not be completely set). Turn on the broiler and broil until the bread is nicely toasted. Remove from oven and set aside to cool. Refrigerate for several hours before serving.
- 4. To unmold, run a small blade around the side of each cup and invert the blueberry bread pudding onto a dessert plate. Garnish with reserved mint leaves.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
- Chocolate-Pecan Brioche Bread Pudding with Caramel Sauce from Tutti Dolci
- Brioche Berry Puddings from La Tartine Gourmande
- Four-Star Chocolate Bread Pudding from Leite's Culinaria
- Blueberry Crumble from Leite's Culinaria
Blueberry Brioche Bread Pudding Recipe © 1993 Daniel Boulud. Photo © 1993 Pierre Franey. All rights reserved.
Hey, there. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!