The sweetest, best kind of dates are the Medjools. They’re large (so they’re easy to fill), meaty, and chewy. Stuffed with goat cheese and wrapped in prosciutto, they provide a perfect sweet-salty mouthful in every bite. Serve them with a crisp white wine as an ideal before-dinner tidbit.–Giada de Laurentiis
Cheese-Stuffed Dates with Prosciutto Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 15 M
- 15 M
- Serves 4 to 6
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) goat cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 16 Medjool dates (about 12 ounces)
- 8 thin slices prosciutto, halved lengthwise
- 1. In a small bowl, mix together the cheeses and the basil. Season with salt and pepper.
- 2. With a knife, make a lengthwise incision about 1 inch long in each date. Gently open the dates slightly and remove the pits.
- 3. Carefully spoon about 1/2 teaspoon of the cheese mixture inside each date. Gently close the dates around the filling.
- 4. Wrap a piece of prosciutto around each date and secure with a toothpick or cocktail pick.
- 5. Arrange the stuffed dates on a platter and serve.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Cheese-Stuffed Dates with Prosciutto Recipe © 2010 Giada de Laurentiis. Photo © 2010 Jonelle Weaver. All rights reserved.