This perfect comfort food is a wonderful anytime dessert that’s easy and quick to make before your guests arrive and leave on the counter till dessert time.–Mireille Guiliano
LC Rice Pudding Surprise Note
As if rice pudding wasn’t comforting enough, melting some chocolate in the middle is a stroke of genius. And sure, you could tell your guests about it when you serve dessert, and let them choose how they want to eat it… Or you could just wait a wee while, and let them discover that luscious center for themselves. You may want to rename it ‘Rice Pudding Surprise’, though, otherwise the name’s a dead giveaway.
Chocolate Rice Pudding Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 20 M
- 40 M
- Serves 4
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 ounces dark chocolate (80 percent cacao preferred), broken into small pieces
- 1. Pour the milk, sugar, and a pinch of salt into a saucepan and bring to a boil over low heat. Add the rice and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the milk is absorbed (if the mixture becomes sticky, add a bit more milk to keep the rice creamy). Stir in the vanilla.
- 2. Pour the rice pudding into 4 ramekins and using a spoon, insert the chocolate pieces in the middle of each mold and push them into the rice. Leave at room temperature. The chocolate will slowly melt and mix with the pudding.
- 3. Let your guests play with the way they want to eat it: mix the whole thing together or start by eating the rice laced with melted chocolate and the chocolate center separately — a matter of taste and mood and a tough decision.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Chocolate Rice Pudding Recipe © 2005 Mireille Guiliano. All rights reserved.