Spring asparagus has a sublimely sweet, grassy taste whose subtleties tend to be masked when subjected to heat, even the mildest forms. The stems are especially sweet and can be served to great effect when left raw, shaved, and tossed with lemon and pecorino. Save the asparagus tips for a lovely pasta, risotto, or salad of another sort.–Mario Batali
You’ll end up with a little extra vinaigrette. What a shame. You may just want to make another batch of the asparagus and pecorino salad the next night, as we did. Or just think of another use for this sprightly picker-upper. Should you need inspiration, try it drizzled over boiled sugar snaps or green beans, grilled or seared fish fillets, roast chicken or broiled fillets, or a simple salad of escarole or even frisee tossed with thinly shaved fennel.
Asparagus and Pecorino Salad Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 20 M
- 20 M
- Serves 6
- For the lemon vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon marmellata (er, that’s marmalade. If you really can’t find any, substitute a pinch of lemon zest)
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, preferably Tuscan
- For the asparagus salad
- 1 pound asparagus, tough bottoms ends snapped off, tips trimmed and reserved for another use
- 2 to 3 ounces pecorino Romano
- 1/4 cup lemon vinaigrette
- Kosher salt and coarsely ground black pepper
- Make the lemon vinaigrette
- 1. Whisk together the lemon juice, marmellata, and olive oil together in a small bowl. You should have about 3/4 cup. (The vinaigrette can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.)
- Make the asparagus salad
- 2. Using a handheld mandoline or a vegetable peeler, thinly shave the asparagus, making long diagonal shavings. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- 3. Shave or thinly slice the pecorino and add it to the asparagus. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the lemon vinaigrette, season lightly with salt and pepper, and toss gently. Serve with the remaining vinaigrette on the side.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
- Orzo, Shrimp and Asparagus Salad from My Colombian Recipes
- Lentil, Goat Cheese, and Asparagus Salad from Love & Olive Oil
- Burrata with Asparagus, Pine Nuts, and Golden Raisins from Leite's Culinaria
- Grilled Asparagus, Prosciutto, Fried Bread, and Poached Egg from Leite's Culinaria
Asparagus and Pecorino Salad Recipe © 2010 Mario Batali. Photo © 2010 Quentin Bacon. All rights reserved.