If you like full-frontal flavor, you are going to love this grilled Thai beef salad. The steak is marinated in a mixture that covers every angle—spicy, sweet, tangy, and salty—then it is grilled to caramelized perfection, sliced thin, and tossed with tender lettuce and fresh herbs. The robust marinade flavors are used in the dressing to give the beef salad a one-two punch. The result is so powerfully mouthwatering, it is sure to knock you out.–Ellie Krieger
LC Start-Early Note
This recipe requires at least 4 and up to 12 hours of marinating. Next time you’re organized enough to consider dinner before breakfast, consider tossing this quick marinade together in the morning so you can come home to barely any work that night.
Grilled Thai Beef Salad Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 20 M
- 30 M
- Serves 4
- For the marinade and dressing
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 clove garlic, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons peeled and minced ginger
- 1 1/4 teaspoons red curry paste or chili-garlic sauce
- For the salad
- 1 pound top round London broil or flank steak
- Canola oil
- 1/2 head red-leaf lettuce, torn (about 5 cups lightly packed) or mixed lettuces
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, sliced into ribbons
- 1/2 marinade and dressing mixture
- Make the marinade and dressing
- 1. In a bowl, whisk together 1 tablespoon of the lime juice, the soy sauce, oil, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, and red curry paste or chili-garlic sauce. Pour half the mixture into a resealable container and reserve as the dressing. What remains in the bowl is the marinade.
- 2. Rinse the steak and pat it dry. Place it in a resealable plastic bag or a glass baking dish and pour the marinade over the steak. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons lime juice to the bag. Seal or cover and refrigerate, turning the meat occasionally, for at least 4 hours or up to overnight.
- Make the grilled Thai beef salad
- 3. Coat a grate or a grill pan with oil and preheat over medium-high heat until hot. Cook the steak until the desired degree of doneness, 3 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare depending on the thickness. Let rest for at least 5 minutes. Thinly slice the steak on the diagonal against the grain.
- 4. Combine the lettuce, shallots (reserving a few slices for garnish), cilantro, basil, and steak in a large serving bowl. Add the reserved dressing and toss to coat. Divide the salad among 4 plates and garnish with the shallots.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
- Turkey Cobb Salad from Baking Bites
- Spicy Basil Beef Salad from Rasa Malaysia
- Warm Chicken with Green Beans and Chard from Leite's Culinaria
- Arugula Salad with Country Ham, Pears, and Honey Vinaigrette from Leite's Culinaria
Grilled Thai Beef Salad Recipe © 2008 Ellie Krieger. Photo © 2008 Christopher Hirsheimer. All rights reserved.