This handsome cake makes a regal sight on a pedestal plate. Each lemony slice is flecked with pistachios and apricots. Enjoy it with a cup of Earl Grey tea or mellow Kenyan or Ethiopian coffee.–Lou Seibert Pappas
LC Misnomer Note
Sort of a misnomer, don’t you think, to label this a “coffee” cake when in reality it plays really quite nicely with not just coffee but tea as well as so many other things one could sip?
Special Equipment: 10-inch Bundt or tube cake pan
Apricot-Pistachio-Lemon Coffee Cake Recipe
Hands-On Time: 15 minutes | Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes, not including cooling | Makes one 10-inch Bundt or tube cake
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for the pan
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, plus more for the pan
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups chopped dried apricots
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shelled unsalted pistachios
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Butter and flour a 10-inch Bundt or tube pan.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar with a wooden spoon or an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in the lemon zest, lemon juice, and yogurt until just combined.
- 3. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir to blend. With the spoon or the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, mixing just until blended. Stir in the apricots and nuts. Spread evenly in the prepared pan.
- 4. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until the cake is golden brown and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes, then unmold the cake on a wire rack and let it cool completely prior to slicing.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Apricot-Pistachio-Lemon Coffee Cake Recipe © 2006 Lou Seibert Pappas. Photo © 2006 Maren Caruso. All rights reserved.