This is a refreshing spin on the classic lemon pie. To save a little time, you can use a purchased graham cracker crust.–Gena Knox
LC Cheater's Custard Note
Talk about a splendid cheater’s custard. Vanilla ice cream contains the requisite egg yolks and cream and sugar and vanilla extract of vanilla custard. See how clever it is?
Frozen Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 20 M
- 5 H, 20 M
- Serves 8
- For the crust
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- For the filling
- 2 cups lemon sorbet, softened
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream, softened
- 5 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Make the crust
- 1. In a food processor, chop the pecans until finely ground. Add the graham cracker crumbs and sugar and pulse to combine.
- 2. While the processor is running, pour the melted butter through the feed tube. Process the mixture until just combined. Press the mixture into the bottom of a 9- or 10-inch pie pan. Refrigerate until set, about 1 hour.
- Make the filling
- 3. Using an electric mixer, combine the softened sorbet and ice cream and beat until the mixture is smooth and well combined. Spoon the mixture into the prepared crust and freeze until firm, about 4 hours.
- 4. Place the egg whites, salt, and lemon juice in a bowl and beat until stiff peaks form. With the mixter still running, gradually add the sugar until well combined. Spread the mixture on top of the pie filling and broil for 1 minute, or until the meringue is lightly brown.
- 5. Serve immediately or return to the freezer.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Testers ChoiceTesters Choice
Jul 04, 2008
I love this pie. It’s sweet, smooth, and refreshing. Nice citrus flavor, yet not overpowering. This is great on a warm day. The procedure couldn’t be simpler, either. I’ll say, though, if you have limited experience mixing egg whites for the meringue, you should practice so as not to break them. Also, instead of putting the pie under the broiler, I would use a torch to brown the meringue. That way, you really don’t have to put it back into the freezer to firm up.
Frozen Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe © 2008 Fire & Flavor Grilling Co., Inc. Photo © 2008 Erica George Dines. All rights reserved.