This is a refreshing spin on the classic lemon pie. To save a little time, you can also use a purchased graham cracker crust.–Gena Knox
Frozen Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe
Hands-On Time: | Total Time: | Serves 8
- For the crust
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- For the filling
- 2 cups lemon sorbet, softened
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream, softened
- 5 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- Make the crust
- 1. In a food processor, chop the pecans until finely ground. Add the graham cracker crumbs and sugar.
- 2. While the processor is running, pour the melted butter through the feed tube. Process the mixture until just combined. Press the mixture into the bottom of a 9- or 10-inch pie pan. Chill until set, about 1 hour.
- Make the filling
- 3. Using an electric mixer, combine the softened sorbet and ice cream; beat until the mixture is smooth and well combined. Spoon the ice-cream mixture into the prepared crust and freeze until firm, about 4 hours.
- 4. Place the egg whites, salt and lemon juice in a bowl; beat until stiff peaks form. While beating, gradually add the sugar until well combined. Spread the mixture on top of the pie filling and broil for 1 minute, or until the meringue is lightly brown.
- 5. Serve immediately or return to the freezer.
Frozen Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe © 2008 Fire & Flavor Grilling Co., Inc. Photo © 2008 Erica George Dines. All rights reserved.